1 Way to Pray for China this Week
This week we continue praying through China’s major cities with Shijiazhuang, the capital of Hebei Province. Less than two hundred miles southwest of Beijing, Shijiazhuang contains 4 million people in its urban center and 10 million across the wider area of its seven districts. This total population makes Shijiazhuang China’s twelfth largest city, though many outside of China have probably never heard of it! Once a small rural town, the city started to grow rapidly at the beginning of the twentieth century when it became the central hub for multiple important railway lines. Because of its railways and economic importance, Shijiazhuang played an important role in World War II and the Chinese Civil War. During a portion of the 1940s, the People’s Liberation Army made Shijiazhuang its headquarters, a history that is well commemorated with a large memorial site. Dairy is one of the areas most important industries, and in 2008 one of Shijiazhuang’s most important corporations, Sanlu, was implicated in the milk crisis.
As you take time this week to pray for Shijiazhuang, consider joining us to pray at 10:02am every morning!
How to pray:
- Along with many other Chinese cities, Shijiazhuang has grown rapidly and faces many demographic challenges. As people continue to move to the area in search of work and economic opportunity, the city continues to grow more crowded and social services are increasingly stressed. Pray for good city planning and wise management.
- Pray for the physical reality of Shijiazhuang. Pray for the pollution to be addressed with sound solutions. Pray for the health of the population and for good healthcare.
- Pray for Shijiazhuang’s government. Pray for wise men and women to lead the city in righteousness. Pray for peace and stability.
- Pray for Shijiazhuang’s educational institutions and its student populations.
- Pray for the wealthy in Shijiazhuang to show mercy and charity in order to use their wealth for the good of the city. Pray for protection for the poor in Shijiazhuang and for their identities as bearers of God’s image to be recognized. Pray for the middle class in Shijiazhuang to be just and righteous in the callings God has given to them.
- Pray for the families of Shijiazhuang. Pray for men and women to be faithful and loving in their marriages. Pray for children to honor their parents and for parents to wisely guide their children. Pray against a rising divorce rate in China. Pray for single men and women who are desperate to find spouses in a culture that puts great emphasis on marriage.
- Pray for the church in Shijiazhuang. Pray for the church to love the city and seek its good. Pray for the church to be bold in serving its neighbors and in proclaiming the good news of Jesus. Pray for unity among the brothers and sisters; for doctrinal soundness and protection against cults; and for wise servant-leaders among the pastorate.