This week we continue praying through China’s major cities with Xiamen in Fujian Province. One of the first cities opened to Western imperial powers in the 19th century and later one of the first special economic zones launched during the reforms of 1980s, Xiamen is a historic port and center of commerce. Today it is one of China’s top domestic tourist destinations with many seaside attractions and interesting food.
Last week, Xiamen was hit by typhoon Meranti. Along with other east coast cities, as well as Taiwan, extensive damage was done, people were dislocated, and lives were lost. An estimated 28 deaths occurred in Xiamen.
As you take time this week to pray for Xiamen, pray through our regular city prayer guide as well as some additional prayer requests for churches impacted by the storm in Xiamen. As always, consider joining us to pray at 10:02am every morning!
How to pray:
- Along with many other Chinese cities, Xiamen has grown rapidly and faces many demographic challenges. As people continue to move to the area in search of work and economic opportunity, the city continues to grow more crowded and social services are increasingly stressed. Pray for good city planning and wise management.
- Pray for the physical reality of Xiamen. Pray for the pollution to be addressed with sound solutions. Pray for the health of the population and for good healthcare.
- Pray for Xiamen’s government. Pray for wise men and women to lead the city in righteousness. Pray for peace and stability.
- Pray for Xiamen’s educational institutions and its student populations.
- Pray for the wealthy in Xiamen to show mercy and charity in order to use their wealth for the good of the city. Pray for protection for the poor in Xiamen and for their identities as bearers of God’s image to be recognized. Pray for the middle class in Xiamen to be just and righteous in the callings God has given to them.
- Pray for the families of Xiamen. Pray for men and women to be faithful and loving in their marriages. Pray for children to honor their parents and for parents to wisely guide their children. Pray against a rising divorce rate in China. Pray for single men and women who are desperate to find spouses in a culture that puts great emphasis on marriage.
- Pray for the church in Xiamen. Pray for the church to love the city and seek its good. Pray for the church to be bold in serving its neighbors and in proclaiming the good news of Jesus. Pray for unity among the brothers and sisters; for doctrinal soundness and protection against cults; and for wise servant-leaders among the pastorate.
- Pray for Xiamen as it continues to recover from typhoon Meranti. Pray against corruption as monetary aid and relief are given to the city. Pray for wise and just decisions to be made by the city’s governors as they work to restore normalcy. Pray for the poor and weak to be remembered and taken care of. Pray for those who have lost loves ones to be comforted. Pray for the injured to be healed.
- Pray for the churches of Xiamen as many of their properties suffered serious damage due to flooding and fallen trees. Pray for the churches to be able to continue to meet without interruption. Pray that Christians will take initiative in serving the city and helping to repair damage. Pray that their service and love will shine the light of the gospel upon the city.